Thursday, November 11, 2010

Alexa's 1st Chinese Food-Chicken Fried Rice.

Alexa was finally able try her first Chinese food.  A while ago (read months*cringe*) Cybele Pascal posted a request for allergy friendly recipe challenges for her blog on Wholeliving.com.  I put in a request for anything Chinese since Alexa had been asking lately.  The challenge for the recipe was that it could not contain Peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, sesame (no longer an issue), or legumes.  Cybele posted a delicious recipe of Chicken Fried Rice and I was excited to make it.  Unfortunately, I never got around to making it because I could not easily locate the Kombu seaweed called for in the mock soy sauce.  There is a Japanese store on the Upper East side but I kept forgetting to stop in when I was in the area.  Eventually, I ordered it from Amazon.com while I was ordering some other allergy friendly items.  Anyway, last night was my first attempt at the recipe and I thought it went pretty well.  Alexa ate 2 bowls and Jason gave it a thumbs up.  Nick didn't eat much of it but that's typical for him.  I've attached a link to the original recipe and pictures of the dish (warning, mine is not nearly as pretty!).  I did not have onions (thought I bought them but, well, I guess not!) and I was unexpectedly out of carrots (darn those late night snacks!) but regardless of the omissions it was a hit!   I used onion salt in place of the onions and since it was not salty enough for our tastes at the end I added a dash of Lawry's Seasoned Salt when I served it.  Also, I no longer own a wok so I made mine in a skillet.  Enjoy the photos and if you try it -let me and Cybele know!
 Just the veggies
 Veggies mixed with the Fried Rice and chicken
 The verdict from Alexa
Nick's verdict-but honestly he hadn't tried it yet!

Here's the link to the original recipe
http://wholelivingdaily.wholeliving.com/2010/05/gluten-free-chicken-fried-rice-food-allergy-recipe-challenge-3.html

1 comment:

  1. By taking the Tell Popeyes survey, customers can enter to win a $1,000 gift card or receive a coupon for a FREE Two Piece Chicken and Biscuit ( check your receipt for details). requires prior acquisition. A recent receipt with the survey invitation is required. After the purchase, the receipt is valid for two days. This discount is good for 30 days. tellpopeyes

    ReplyDelete