Friday, August 5, 2011

Thanks for the allergies...no, I'm not being sarcastic.

For our family it has been a quiet allergy friendly summer.  I decided to post today to remind parents, especially parents of allergic children, to be thankful for your children's health.  It probably sounds strange to be thankful for your allergic child's health but here is why I say this.  My friend's otherwise healthy son fell ill suddenly and is still in the Pediatric ICU- 5 weeks later.  Events such as this remind me that although my baby girl has serious health challenges she is mostly living a full and wonderful life.  My friend's son is a healthy boy who is full of energy.  There was no warning leading up to this ordeal.  He just fell ill and has been struggling to get well for the past 5 weeks.  As I watch my children swim, run, laugh, dance, play and enjoy their summer, I think of this family spending their summer at their son's bedside in the Pediatric ICU wondering when their beautiful son will return home happy and healthy.  It reminds me to be thankful EVERY DAY for my children's health.  Although I would love to swap my daughter's immune system for one that actually works-or at least didn't go haywire over food, pollen, dust mites, etc.- I'm also incredibly grateful that most of her time is spent playing, laughing, singing, dancing, living life without too much difficultly.  So, if you are a parent to a food allergic child, and often think about the negatives that come with it, stop for a moment and be thankful.   The majority of the time they are happy and enjoying life.  They are not in a hospital bed for weeks on end unable to talk to you.  They are not battling cancer for months on end enduring endless procedures.  They are out playing, growing, learning and mostly loving life.  Yes, there are major challenges, and yes we have to plan ahead and be cautious, but for the most part, life is good and for that I am eternally grateful.  So, if I had to choose, I guess I'm thankful for her allergies.


No comments:

Post a Comment